week 1

December 9th, 2017

I have only been in the MTC for about 4 days now. It is a super cool experience to come here and to be focused. My companion is Elder Richards. He is very outgoing, loves to sing all the time, and has a crazy cool demeanor. We get along super well and I can tell he has in some ways been prepared to be my companion. One of his past best friends had Type 1 so he knows some basics and I was able to teach him some more. He is a very big people person and not being able to speak Spanish is very hard for him. He just wants to love the people and be able to communicate with them. Please keep him in your prayers. On the first day my flight was late because one of the engines was leaking something so we missed the first shuttle. But anyways I got to the MTC safe.

 We started off going right to the classroom and I left my bags at the front desk, they gave me an iPad and I went to go attempt Spanish. The first day we got to know our companions and it was interesting, we had dinner and the food is pretty good, but its buffet style and I'm really really trying to not get fat. After dinner we went to People and my Purpose and we learned about our purpose as missionaries. In a group setting we were able to talk to some "investigators" We learned what worked and what didn't, and some people were just throwing so much gospel in their face that they didn't realize what the investigator needed or was asking, they didn't get to know them. That was something I tried really hard to do was to see what they need not what I necessarily want to teach. But the first night was good and we felt the spirit trying to guide us it was really crazy. We got to meet our Zone leaders and they all seem pretty chill.

We kinda forgot that the doors automatically lock when you close them so I was brushing my teeth and Elder Richards closed the door. Some missionaries opened the roof panels and shoved the vacuum cord through the vent to hang down and twist the door handle. Eventually they got it and its hilarious to see how the missionaries entertain themselves or fix stupid problems.

Waking up at 6:30 was not fun at all but we got ready and went to class to meet our teacher and to learn Spanish. By the end of the class we had gotten all our Spanish materials and had learned how to pray in Spanish. By next week there wont be any more English prayers in class. Its a whole different experience praying a a new language and I don't know how to explain it but its amazing. There is this sister from France and she doesn't speak that much English and its super cool to see her learn 2 languages at once. Then we went to another people and my purpose class to focus on loving the people then the language will come. Then we had lunch and went back to class to learn more Spanish and learned that on Friday we would have to be teaching an investigator in only Spanish, she didn't know any English. That was very intimidating. We learned about companion and personal study and figured out what we should teach Sister V, just Elder Richards and I, based on a short bio video she sent the class. I'm almost 100% sure it was another teacher but she seemed very convincing when we actually talk to her. Then we had a Branch presidency meeting and met our leaders and Branch president. They interviewed us to get to know a little more about us and then Elder R was named district leader. Thursday seemed to last 48 hours, we sat and learned so much and it was a LONG day, everyone says the first few days are the worst. We had tie swap right before bed and everyone loved my sunflower tie, the elders are so funny. Friday we woke up and went to the medical office, got a fridge, bought some stuff and ate some food. We went to a class in the morning and learned more Spanish and better study tools. We had a lot of study time to figure out what we need to do to help Sister V. We had thought we got a solid plan then changed it and finally settled on Prayer.

Then we FINALLY got to exercise and go to the gym, it was so fun to not be in a shirt and tie and to actually not sit in a chair for 5 hours straight. We then had dinner and went to teach Valeria. We have 300 words we need to memorize in 10 days so that's gonna be rough and we studied a lot before we taught Valeria. We wrote everything down in Spanish but only in my notebook. The lesson was so cool. I could remember so much and piece together almost everything she said. I had so much fun talking to her and trying to teach but mostly just listening. Elder Richards looked so scared, he doesn't know a lot of Spanish and it was very hard for him.

He is definitely improving though. Saturday is P day and I was so excited to not have class. We woke up and studied. The Elders all wake up on P day and sing hallelujah its P day or something like that I had no clue what was going on but it woke me up. We studied then got breakfast. We went to the gym and played volleyball and ran some laps.  Then we did laundry and wrote talks for Sunday, every Sunday everyone has to prepare a talk and they choose someone at random to give one. P Days are pretty great and now I'm emailing home, we are going to the temple here soon so that's gonna be fun. I'm having a great time and its so fun being up here in the cold where i can see my breath and my ears freeze. Its so different and it just makes me more and more excited to be in Baltimore.
Love you guys!

Elder Price
(also calling everyone Elder and Hermana is super weird still)








Comments

Popular Posts